What monetary remedies can I claim for a breach of federal government contract?

If you have a government contract and the contract is breached, you may have a more difficult time recovering your losses than you might think. Filing a claim against the federal government doesn’t usually result in payments being made. Federal government contracts contain clauses that protect it from suit cases of breach or that limit or specify remedies that will be provided. In many cases, however, if you fulfill your obligations as stated in the government contract, even if the federal government altered the conditions of the contract, they will honor the payment terms specified therein.

Standard breach of contract remedies are assessed based on actual losses. However, most government contracts contain two special clauses including a "changes clause" and a "termination for convenience" clause. These clauses may limit or specify the amount of damages owed, and thus if the contract is breached any remedy will be dictated by the terms of these clauses.

If you are successful in filing a claim against a federal government branch for breach of contract, the monetary recovery you receive depends on your representation and the nature of the claim you’ve made against the government. A successful claim is generally rewarded immediately, as opposed to an annual payment, unless there are terms added into a settlement that you agree upon after your claim has been awarded. The amount of the monetary award you’re given depends directly on the nature of the claim you’ve made and the ability of your legal representation to make your case.

A lawyer can help ensure that you comply with any special rules for lawsuits filed against government entities. Hiring a good lawyer is essential if you want to have the best possible outcome based on your breach of government contract claim.