What happens if I don't agree with a decision made by the Social Security Administration?

The Social Security Administration will provide you with a written decision regarding eligibility for Social Security or SSI benefits. If you do not agree with the decision, you have a right of appeal. Your appeal may be presented to an Administrative Law Judge who regularly handles these matters and is generally familiar with Social Security and its eligibility rules. In going forward with your appeal to an adverse decision, you can be represented by a qualified person of your choice, including an attorney who practices in the field of Social Security benefits and appeals of adverse decisions.