What are survivors' benefits?
If you have enough credits at the time of your death, family members may be eligible for benefits. Eligible family members include:
- Widows and widowers age 62 or older;
- Disabled widow/widower age 50 or older;
- Widow/widower caring for a child under age 16 or a disabled child who receives Social Security benefits;
- Unmarried children under age 18 - or under age 19 while a full-time student in elementary or secondary school - or age 18 or older who is severely disabled;
- Parents who were dependent upon you for at least half of their support.
A one-time $255 lump sum benefit may also be payable.
Divorced widows/widowers may also be eligible for benefits - after your death - based upon your Social Security account.