When You Have to File Your 2008 Tax Return Late

Sometimes you can’t file your tax return on time. Lots of people file late. If you know in advance that you can’t (or simply don’t want to) file by April 15th, you can get an automatic a six-month extension for filing your return. All you need to do is fill out Form 4868 (Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return) and mail or e-file to the IRS by April 15th. You will then have until October 15th to file your return.

However, the automatic October 15th extension does not extend the date for paying any tax due. If you will owe money to the IRS on April 15th, you need to estimate your tax liability and send your payment with Form 4868 in order to avoid penalties and interest. You may also pay by credit card or electronic funds withdrawal.

If you don’t file a request for an extension by April 15th, the IRS can hit you with both late payment and late filing penalties.

Learn more about federal income taxes and the law at FreeAdvice.com. To find a tax attorney, go to AttorneyPages.com.

To learn more about taxes and the IRS, see the following articles:

The Free Advice Guide for Filing Your 2018 Tax Return
Filing Your 2008 Tax Return: Bring on the Paperwork
When You Need to Pay Your Income Tax Late
Do I Have to File if I Live Outside the U.S.?
What Will It Cost Me to Get My Money Early?